Friday 4 January 2013

My Brother's Keeper

Title: My Brother's Keeper
Author: Patricia McCormick
Publisher: Hyperion

My Brother's Keeper is about a boy (Toby) his two brothers (Jake and Eli) and his mom (Suzi). Toby's family lives in Pittsburgh and Toby and Jake are huge Pittsburgh Pirate fans. Almost every day after school, Toby goes and works for a man named Mr. D. Mr. D. is a baseball card collector and helps feed Toby's own card collection.

One day Mr. D gives Toby a mint condition 62 Stargell, the one card that Toby has dreamed about ever since his dad left. Toby has had this dream because everyone, but especially his dad, loved Willie Stargell (the one person who did not leave the Pirates for better money or for a nicer team his entire career).

When Toby gets home to show off his card to everyone, he gets the impression that Jake doesn't care. Toby realizes that Jake has stopped caring about baseball since his dad has left. Using information that he learns in health class, Toby realizes that Jake is meddling in something that will get bigger and bigger and soon take over them.

Even though I know nothing about baseball, I found this book easy to follow. Patricia wrote My Brother's Keeper with an interesting sense of humour that kept me coming back for more.

By Kai Roberts (son)

No comments:

Post a Comment